BCBS Class Action Settlement
May 27, 2021
You may have recently received a postcard from the Blue Cross Blue Shield Settlement, which said you may be eligible for a claim and payment from the settlement.
This is because SmartHealth uses the BCBS Network for its National Network (aka Tier 2) claims. If you are an Associate who received healthcare through Ascension between 2008 and 2020, you were probably sent the postcard.
The plaintiffs alleged BCBS violated antitrust laws, but the parties settled to avoid risks and costs of further legal action before the court found in favor of either party. This litigation does not directly involve SmartHealth or Ascension and it does not assert any wrongdoing by SmartHealth or Ascension.
If you submit a valid claim using the online form, or by mail and postmarked by Nov. 5, 2021, you may receive a payment from the settlement. For further details, you can download this FAQ (PDF) from Ascension. Or you can visit the website for the settlement, and review:
- The Proposed Plan of Distribution.
- Question 7 of the Long Form Notice
- Section D of the Settlement Agreement, available on the Important Documents page.
You will need a Unique ID code from the settlement to file a claim.
- If you received a postcard notice, the Unique ID is the 10-digit code of letters and numbers in the upper left corner of the inside of the postcard.
- If you received an email notice from the Settlement’s Claim Administrator, the Unique ID is toward the top of the email body.
- If you do not have a postcard or email notice or did not receive one, you can file a claim online or by mailing a completed claim form.