Best Bang for Your Buck: Why You Should Choose In-Network Care
February 25, 2020
Looking for ways to save money when it comes to your health care benefits? One of the most important ways you can save money is by choosing in-network care. This means you are getting care from a provider that is part of Ascension’s Tier 1 network. By selecting an Ascension Network (Tier 1) provider, you’ll receive the highest level of coverage at the lowest out-of-pocket cost. You should double-check that the doctor you want is also a part of the network.
How to Find an In-Network Provider Near You
● Ascension Network: To verify if a physician is within the Ascension Network, please visit mysmarthealth.org and search the Ascension Network Doctor Directory
● National Network: To search for a National Network provider, follow this link and enter the first three letters (prefix) listed on your Member ID card to get started. While National Network providers are in-network, you will pay more to see a Tier 2 provider than when you use an Ascension Network provider.
● Location: You’ll next want to consider the location of your provider’s practice. Is it close to your work or your home? How often do you expect to travel to their office? For physicians, such as your primary care doctor, a nearby practitioner is highly recommended as you may visit him or her often.
● Practice Hours: A provider’s office hours also are important to consider. Will he or she be in the office when you need to visit? Do they offer extended hours or open on the weekend? You’ll also want to know the type of assistance you’ll receive if you have an emergency. Be sure to find your nearest in-network urgent care and emergency department to know what they are just in case. This will save you lots of money in surprise bills.
● Get Recommendations: If you feel comfortable, ask your friends, family, and colleagues for their recommendations. Make sure to double-check that these recommendations are in-network.
● Confirmation: Before you schedule your in-network appointment, you can always call to confirm that both the facility and the doctor are within Ascension’s Tier 1 network.
By finding the right Ascension Network doctor, you’ll get the best bang for your buck, while also, getting your healthcare needs taken care of.