As part of Ascension’s continued efforts to meet the health and wellness needs of our associates and covered dependents, we are enhancing SmartHealth medical plan coverage for care related to the diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19.
SmartHealth helps support you during the COVID-19 pandemic
You and your family can fight COVID-19 by getting vaccinated and following the advice of your doctor, providers, and the CDC. SmartHealth covers the cost of the FDA-approved vaccine at no cost to members.
COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective at preventing COVID-19. Getting vaccinated will help end the pandemic and help keep our communities healthy.
Follow all healthcare providers’ advice, and CDC guidelines on COVID treatment and testing.
Changes to SmartHealth coverage
Effective March 15, 2020, through December 31, 2021 (subject to review), we are waiving deductibles, copays and member cost-sharing for provider office visits, urgent care visits, emergency department visits and virtual urgent care visits through Ascension Online Care related to COVID-19 diagnosis, and COVID-19 testing and care for all members enrolled in either the SmartHealth PPO Plan or the High Deductible Health Plan. During this time period, virtual urgent care provided by Ascension Online Care will be covered with $0 cost to SmartHealth members.
• If you are a member through Community Care, you must use the code SMARTHEALTH to receive Ascension Online Care at a $0 cost.
• If you are a member through HAP, you must use code SMARTHEALTHHAP to receive Ascension Online Care at a $0 cost.
• If you are a member through BIND, you must use the code SMARTHEALTHBIND to receive Ascension Online Care at a $0 cost.
About Ascension Online Care and Your Benefits
Virtual urgent care
With virtual urgent care, video chat with an experienced doctor online using your smartphone, tablet or laptop – anytime, anywhere
Associates who selected the SmartHealth High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) will pay $59 per virtual urgent care visit, which applies toward your deductible. With both plans, the copay applies toward out-of-pocket limits. These out-of-pocket expenses can be paid from FSA/HRA/HSA accounts if you have established one of those options.
Virtual urgent care can be used for a wide variety of symptoms and conditions, including:
• Urinary tract infections
• Sinus or upper respiratory infections
• Eye infections
• Sore throat/strep/cough
• Seasonal allergies
Virtual mental health and counseling services
Ascension Online Care offers virtual mental and emotional health services so you can video chat with an experienced psychiatrist or therapist online from wherever you are.
With two options for compassionate support, our team of caregivers in psychiatry and therapy is available to offer care for mental and emotional health through Ascension Online Care.
• Psychiatrists are available for support and may prescribe and monitor medication to help control symptoms.
• Therapists are here to listen and help with life’s challenges. Services are available to adult and pediatric patients.
If you are a member through Community Care, please reference your schedule of benefits to know the expected out-of-pocket cost. If you are a member through HAP or BIND, behavioral health services through Ascension Online Care are not currently a covered benefit.
Using your benefits
Please follow the below steps to ensure your benefits apply to your virtual urgent care, virtual therapy or virtual psychiatry visit:
1. Once logged into Ascension Online Care, select a service
2. On the payment screen under “insurance,” select your health plan and enter your SmartHealth ID card information
3. Talk to a doctor and get the care you need
To get started, download the mobile app from the App Store or Google Play or go to ascension.org/onlinecare.
If you have questions regarding benefits and coverage, please contact SmartHealth Customer Service at 888-492-6811.